The church of St Mary, Wingfield

St Mary, Wingfield, is a listed building with a 15th-century tower. The earliest recorded rector, Thomas Shawebure, was appointed in 1313. St Mary's has served the village ever since.

The church lies at the south-east end of the village of Wingfield and consists of a chancel, nave, west tower, south porch, and a vestry. With the exception of the 15th-century tower and chancel arch it dates from the 17th century and all the windows, other than the east window which is modern, are of that period. The vestry, built on the north side, is a late addition and houses an organ, installed by the 5th Earl Temple of Stowe.

St Mary’s Church holds Services every Sunday at 9.30am: the 1st Sunday is Morning Prayer, the 2nd and 4th are Holy Communion (all from Common Worship), and the 3rd is an informal Family Service. once a month.  And the Rector and church members maintain a close involvement with The Mead Community Primary School (Wingfield Site) just along the road.  

A major event in the life of the Wingfield community is the Church Fête which, besides being a major fundraising event, is a very happy social occasion and now takes place in the field at The Poplars Pub, where we also hold the Harvest Supper and the Carol Singing.

Read a description of St Mary Wingfield in British History On Line Benefice Safeguarding Policy.pdf

The Benefice Safeguarding Policy

St Mary’s celebrated its 700th anniversary in 2013, and a short history of the church was published to commemorate the event. Click here to read the booklet.